How to Use CBD in Baking
If you’re someone who’s discovered the benefits of CBD and love to bake, this article is for you. Ever wondered how to use CBD in baking? It’s actually really, really easy once you get the hang of it. CBD baked goods won’t get you high, but they could offer some serious wellness-promoting effects.
The Benefits of Baking with CBD
Baking with CBD is awesome for several reasons. Not only does pretty much everyone love a good chocolate chip cookie, cupcake or brownie, but CBD-infused baked goods are a delicious way to enjoy the myriad of benefits CBD has to offer.
Some of the biggest benefits of infusing CBD into your baked goods include:
- Long-lasting effects: While it takes longer to feel the effects of CBD edibles than it does with other methods of delivery, the effects are known to last much longer. When taken in the form of an edible, CBD is released slowly into the system as edible is digested. The effects of an edible can last 2–4 hours longer than types of CBD products.
- Non-psychoactive: CBD edibles can offer several benefits without the psychoactive “high” often associated with cannabis edibles. This means they can safely be eaten by anyone without the risk of an uncomfortable psychoactive occurrence.
- Precisely measured serving size: Baking with CBD allows you to get a precisely measured serving size. Once you get down the basics of baking with CBD, you’ll be able to calculate just how much CBD is consumed and how much is necessary to consume to attain the results you desire.
- Easy to make: No need to spend hours making your own cannabutter when using CBD in baking. CBD tinctures, isolate and crystals can all be used when baking with CBD.
How to Use CBD in Baking
To use CBD in baking, the oil must be infused into a fatty base ingredient such as oil, ghee or butter. While you can make your own CBD butter or oil using CBD flower, it’s much easier to use CBD oils and concentrates that are already made. This allows you to get precise measurements and know exactly how much CBD you get with each serving size of your edibles.
An even easier way to use CBD in baking is to incorporate CBD isolate into your baked goods. CBD isolate allows for an extremely precise measurement and will incorporate seamlessly into the butter or oil in your favorite baking recipes.
CBD crystals are another option to use in CBD baking. CBD crystals dissolve easily into cooking oils and butter. Simply heat your desired fatty base on low heat, add your desired amount of CBD crystals and stir gently. The CBD crystals will dissolve into your oil or butter and can then be used in any baking recipe you wish to create.
Things to Keep in Mind When Using CBD in Baking
- Temperature — When using CBD in baking, it’s vital to keep temperature in mind. While warming up your oil could increase the effectiveness of your CBD, high temperatures can destroy many of its active compounds. The boiling point of CBD is 320-356 degrees Fahrenheit. Baking CBD at temperatures above this for prolonged periods could cause the CBD added to your recipe to evaporate, essentially making your CBD baked goods lose their potency and ultimately their effectiveness.
- Serving Size — If you’re planning on using CBD in baking, you’ve got to think about serving size. If you make a batch of 24 cookies, for example, with 100mg of CBD, each cookie will only contain 4mg CBD. If 4mg CBD cookies are what you’re going for, perfect. But if you want each cookie you make to contain more CBD, you’ve got to keep your serving size in mind. Let’s say you wanted to bake a batch of 24 cookies that each contained 25mg CBD. You would need to use 600mg of CBD oil in your recipe. If you want your CBD baked goods to get the job done, so to speak, make sure that your recipe contains enough CBD to fit the desired milligram content for each serving size.
- Storage — Properly storing your CBD baked goods is paramount to keeping them fresh and ensuring they uphold their potency. CBD is extremely sensitive to light and heat and does best when stored in a cool, dark place. A pantry cupboard that isn’t exposed to much light or warmth is ideal for storing your CBD baked goods. That spot on your kitchen counter next to the stove that gets a lot of sun, not so much. Do yourself a favor and don’t damage your CBD baked goods by storing them improperly. Keep them in an airtight container in a spot that doesn’t see the light or get too hot, and your baked CBD goodies will stay fresh and maintain their quality.
Bonus Recipe: CBD Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ready to get your CBD baking on? Try out the following simple recipe for CBD chocolate chip cookies. This easy-to-make recipe yields 30 cookies, each containing 25mg of CBD.
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 750mg natural or mint CBD oil
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using an electric mixer, combine softened butter and sugars until soft and fluffy (approximately 2–3 minutes). Add eggs and mix well. Add vanilla extract and CBD oil and blend on low until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt. Mix well with electric mixer or wooden spoon until smooth. Do not overmix. Stir in chocolate chips with wooden spoon.
- Scoop tablespoon-size drops of cookie dough onto ungreased cookie sheets approximately 2 inches apart. Bake in preheated oven approximately 20-24 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Use a spatula to transfer hot cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- Cookies can remain stored in a tightly sealed container for up to 5 days.
Now, Get Out There and Make Some Goodies!
There are people that love baked goods…and then there are people who love to bake. If you’re someone who uses CBD enjoys the art of creating sweet treats for yourself and those you love, baking with CBD is a no-brainer. And once you’ve got down the basics, the possibilities are endless. Think CBD brownies, cookies, cake-pops, caramels, Christmas cookies, cupcakes, crusts and more.
Using CBD in baking gives your goodies a wellness boost anyone can appreciate.