Who doesn’t love a nice drink when winding down after a long day? We have the demands of the workforce, family and friends alike weighing down on us all the time. While none of us would change a thing about our lives, or the people in them, the stress of it all sometimes make us want to pour drink number two. Need a little extra weight off your shoulders without all the excess alcohol? Try a CBD cocktail!
How about a pick-me-up? We all love a nice cup of coffee to perk us up, yet the comedown can be worse than the initial crash! How about a daytime boost that’s:
- Not psychedelic?
- Doesn’t produce the jittery coffee crash?
Yup. CBD cocktails for the win again!
CBD cocktails are just as they sound. You can get a buzz with CBD that’s not THC. It’s a clear mind and a fresh take on things. With the growing cannabusiness community, CBD cocktails are popping up all the over the nation in pubs, restaurants and speakeasies. It’s a trendy new way to not only change up your happy hour game but how you consume CBD as well. Let’s take a look at the growing trend of CBD cocktails and how you can make our seven favorite CBD cocktail recipes!
Why Mix CBD with Alcohol?
The reason why CBD oil is legal in so many states is that it has no psychoactive properties. CBD comes from hemp. Unlike its sister, marijuana, hemp produces very small amounts of THC. Therefore, there’s no high when you use CBD products.
So, doesn’t this seem like a waste of time to add to your cocktail? Well, not according to Zsolt “George” Csonka. He is the owner and a bartender at the first New York City CBD-inspired cafe, Adriaen Block. Csonka spoke with Food and Wine Magazine and explained the blending of the two worlds as, “a different kind of ‘buzz’ for a relaxed state of mind.”
This actually makes a lot of sense. Sure, the first drink is relaxing. Then, how many does it take before we get messy? While alcohol can soothe your nerves, it’s also a downer. Think about it. Our worst cry fests have definitely happened over a drink or two!
Then there’s coffee. The rise to glory after the first cup of joe is amazing. You’re Superman, Wonder Woman and The Joker all rolled in one. By afternoon, you’re crashing hard.
CBD is naturally a relaxant. Its primary goal is to bring homeostasis to your system. If you are feeling down from alcohol, or frantic from caffeine, infusing your beverage with CBD may help generate serotonin to assist in evening those emotions out.
Not to mention, CBD has anti-inflammatory characteristics. There’s nothing better after a long day of sitting crunched at your desk and hovering over your steering wheel in traffic than working out those kinks with a CBD cocktail.
Now that you know why you should try drinking CBD cocktails, let’s get to making them. Here are our 7 favorite CBD cocktail recipes.
1. CBD Tranquil Mint Julep
Nothing takes the tension off everyday problems like having a date night with a CBD Tranquil Mint Julep. By using a mint CBD tincture, you get a delicious drink and kissable breath!
- 2 ½ ounces of bourbon
- ½ ounce of simple syrup
- 1 milliliter of mint CBD tincture
- 2 drops organic peppermint essential oil (Optional)
- Mint leaves for garnish
- Pour mint CBD tincture into a chilled julep cup.
- Add the simple syrup and optional organic peppermint essential oil.
- Give the mixture a swirl and then throw some mint leaves into the cup.
- Muddle the mint leaves in your mix.
- Pour the bourbon over everything.
- Top off the beverage with some pebble ice.
- Add mint leaves for garnish and enjoy!
2. CBD for the Cosmos
Cosmopolitans are about kicking back and celebrating — not to mention, they’re delicious. Make happy hour even happier by adding in an orange CBD tincture. Here’s a new spin on an old faithful, with our CBD for the Cosmos!
- ½ ounce fresh lime juice
- 1 ounce cranberry juice
- ½ ounce Cointreau or triple sec
- 1 ½ ounces vodka
- 1 milliliter orange CBD tincture
- Orange peel for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker, mix the lime juice, cranberry juice, triple sec or Cointreau, and vodka.
- Shake up the concoction.
- Open up and add the orange CBD tincture to the mix and shake again.
- Add ice.
- Give the shaker a vigorous shake for around 20 seconds.
- Once the shaker feels cold, you’re good to go.
- Place a strainer over the mouth of your shaker and pour into a chilled martini glass.
- Garnish with an orange twist.
Throwing a party and want to give your drink of the night a nice CBD kick? Look no further than sangria! Sangria is a party favorite because it’s easy to make, it’s cheap and everyone likes it. Plus, there’s delicious fruit floating in the drink that tastes great…and will get you feeling pretty nice too. Here’s how to make our CBgria!
- 1 apple
- 1 lime
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- ½ cup of orange juice
- 1 cup of cranberry juice
- 3 cups red grape juice (or use wine)
- 2 cups seltzer
- 1 milliliter lemon CBD Tincture
- Prep the fruits by slicing the citrus fruits into wheels and the apples into chunks.
- Add all of the ingredients into a pitcher and serve cold.
4. Gin & Chronic
This is the perfect after-dinner wind-down that will have you feeling hydrated and full of effervescent spirit, from the publication, Goop!
- 1 ½ ounce gin
- 3 ½ ounces tonic water
- ¼ ounce lemon juice
- 1 milliliter CBD oil
- Aromatics for garnish recommendations:
- Edible Flowers
- Grapefruit Peel
- Lime Wheel
- Combine gin, lemon juice and tonic water in a wine glass.
- Top the concoction off with ice.
- Place the aromatic garnishes on the top.
- Pour CBD oil on top so it floats.
Want a little CBD cocktail to kickstart your day rather than end it? Make yourself a delicious CBD chai. The earthy tones of natural CBD tinctures will complement this beverage. It can be made either virgin so you can function at work or with alcohol so you can relax in front of the tube.
- 1 cup milk of your choice (We prefer hemp milk or unsweetened soy.)
- 1 milliliter plain CBD tincture
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave
- Dash of nutmeg
- Cinnamon stick
- Shot of Bailey’s (Optional)
- Place a saucepan on the stove over low heat.
- Pour in milk, vanilla extract, sweetener and CBD tincture.
- Whisk the mixture together and heat until warmed.
- Once cooked, add in a shot of Bailey’s if you want alcohol.
- Stir with a cinnamon stick and top off with a dusting of nutmeg.
6. Go Night-Night CBD Tea
Alcohol is fun and all, but it also can do a number on your sleep patterns. That’s because studies have found, “arousal is heightened 2–3 hours after blood alcohol concentrations fall close to zero.” So when you sleep it off…it wakes us up! While CBD does have a sedative effect, sometimes you just want a CBD cocktail that will knock you out — sans the alcohol. Here’s a tea for you!
Note: While this recipe suggests a lemon CBD tincture, it tastes great with mint and orange tinctures as well!
- 1 cup distilled water
- 1 tablespoon chamomile leaves
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 milliliter lemon CBD tincture
- Boil distilled water in a pot.
- Add the chamomile and allow the leaves to steep for five minutes.
- Pour the flower water into a mug.
- Add in the CBD tincture.
- Pour the milk and honey in, mix and enjoy.
7. Lavender Hot CBDcoa
The winter is coming. Why not curl up with a relaxing cup of delicious hot cocoa? Whether you’re aching from a day on the ski slopes or your arthritis has your joints clanking, you can feel like a kid again with this CBD cocktail.
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons organic pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 drops organic lavender essential oil
- 1 milliliter orange CBD tincture
- 1 ounce Grand Marnier
- Bring plant milk to a boil in a small pot.
- Add in the lavender leaves and cover.
- Allow to steep for about ten minutes.
- Pour the lavender milk into a tea strainer over a blender.
- Blend together with cocoa powder, maple syrup, CBD tincture, Grand Marnier and organic lavender essential oil.
- Once smooth, drink warm.
Favorite CBD Cocktail Recipes and Joy Organics
Don’t these sound delicious? Share with us your favorites! Leave a comment below, or contact us using our online form.